New Icelandic Government takes office
A Government of the Progressive Party and the Independence Party has been formed and took office today.
A comprehensive policy statement of the new Government in Iceland has been introduced, where the focus is put on a forward looking policy, aiming at serving the whole of the country and the people. The guiding element will be the improved prospects of the housholds in Iceland, and promotion of opportunities in trade and employment, which will create added value for the benefit of the nation as a whole.
Nine ministers will take seat in the new government, four from the Progressive Party, and five from the Independence Party. Two of the current ministries, Ministry of Industries and Innovation, and Ministry of Welfare, will have two ministers each.
- Prime minister of the new government is Mr. Sigmundur Davíð Gunnlaugsson, chairman of the Progressive Party.
- Minister of Finance and Economic Affairs is Mr. Bjarni Benediktsson, chairman of the Independence Party.
- Minister of Health is Mr. Kristján Þór Júlíusson (Ministry of Welfare).
- Minister of Education, Science and Culture is Mr. Illugi Gunnarsson, Independence Party.
- Minister of Industry and Trade is Mrs. Ragnheiður Elín Árnadóttir, Independence Party (Ministry of Industries and Innovation).
- Minister of Social Affairs and Housing is Mrs. Eygló Harðardóttir (Ministry of Welfare).
- Minister of Fisheries and Agriculture, and Minister for the Environment and Natural Resources is Mr. Sigurður Ingi Jónsson. (Ministry of Industry and Innovation, Ministry for the Environment and Natural Resources).
- Minister for Foreign Affairs is Mr. Gunnar Bragi Sveinsson, Progressive Party.
- Minister of the Interior is Mrs. Hanna Birna Kristjánsdóttir, Independence Party.