New Icelandic Government - government of Mr. Bjarni Benediktsson takes office
A Government of the Independence Party, the Reform Party and Bright Future has been formed and took office today.
Eleven ministers will take seat in the Government, six from the Independence Party, three from the Reform Party and two from Bright Future. Three of the current ministries, the Ministry of Industries and Innovation, the Ministry of the Interior and the Ministry of Welfare, will have two ministers each.
- Prime Minister is Mr. Bjarni Benediktsson, chairman of the Independence Party.
- Minister of Finance and Economic Affairs is Mr. Benedikt Jóhannesson, chairman of the Reform Party.
- Minister of Health is Mr. Óttarr Proppé, chairman of Bright Future, (Ministry of Welfare).
- Minister of Social Affairs and Equality is Mr. Þorsteinn Víglundsson, Reform Party, (Ministry of Welfare).
- Minister of Education, Science and Culture is Mr. Kristján Þór Júlíusson, Independence Party.
- Minister of Tourism, Industry and Innovation is Mrs. Þórdís Kolbrún Reykfjörð Gylfadóttir, Independence Party, (Ministry of Industries and Innovation).
- Minister of Fisheries and Agriculture is Mrs. Þorgerður Katrín Gunnarsdóttir, Reform Party, (Ministry of Industries and Innovation).
- Minister for Foreign Affairs is Mr. Guðlaugur Þór Þórðarson, Independence Party.
- Minister for the Environment and Natural Resources is Mrs. Björt Ólafsdóttir, Bright Future.
- Minister of Justice is Mrs. Sigríður Ásthildur Andersen, Independence Party, (Ministry of the Interior).
- Minister of Transport and Local Goverment is Mr. Jón Gunnarsson, Independence Party, (Ministry of the Interior).